Evaluate concepts to ensure feasibility and determining main design parameters and principles.
Perform evaluation of ideas and proposals in close co-operation with Client and develop the ideas into more firm solutions.
Select preferred solution based on risk analyses, cost and benefit evaluations.
Establish a set of operational parameters for the subsequent conceptual design stage.
Arrangement and layout design
Develop arrangement proposals for an entire floating structure.
Material handling studies and evaluations.
Layout proposals for technical areas such as engine rooms, utility rooms, propulsion rooms, control rooms, bridge and others.
Develop architectural arrangements for accommodation and technical areas on an installation;
- Cabin layouts
- Accommodation area layouts
- Architectural requirements specification, room finishes schedules and inventory lists
Follow-up of fabrication contractors and shipyards during larger construction projects. Attend at the site during the phases of shop design, construction, testing and hand-over.
Provide a dedicated site team or work integrated in the Client’s team.
Follow-up of shipyards during renewal surveys or upgrade projects.
Conceptual and FEED Studies
Develop a solution to a stage where an overall cost estimate and project schedule can be established, and prices can be obtained from shipyards.
Typical activities which form part of a conceptual or front-end engineering design project;
- Establishment of unit layout and arrangement
- Material handling evaluation
- Risk evaluations
- Evaluation of applicable Rules and Regulations
- Evaluation and calculations of motion responses, accelerations and wave slamming loads, air gap, VIV and eigenmodes
- Stability calculations
- Main scantling design
- Global structural calculations
- Lightship weight estimation
- Establish overall project schedule
- Establish overall cost estimate based on project complexity and lightship weight
- Presentation of solutions by 3D models and animations
Perform detail engineering within the areas Hull, Topside and Marine Systems. This includes the following disciplines and activities:
- Layout and arrangement
- Mechanical design
- Hydrodynamic and hydrostatic analyses
- Global and local structural analyses
- Structural modelling
- Structural design to a level suitable for Class approval
- Flow diagrams for marine systems
- Duct diagrams for ventilation systems
- Transportation, lifting and installation design
- Liaison and interface with Class Authority/3rd Party verification body during design approval
- Assist shipyards in their detail engineering within selected areas
architectural, MECHANICAL and Structural design
Design and Analysis
Experienced in performing Global and Local FEM analyses for a large variety of offshore structures, such as semi-submersibles, topside and jackets, jack-ups, offshore fish farms, etc.
Analyses and design covering ULS, ALS and FLS.
Structural accidental analyses and evaluations concerning robustness and redundancy.
Range of analyses includes non-linear structural analysis for various applications such as, ship collision, slamming events, dropped objects, pushover analysis, etc.
Analyses and verification of an asset’s structural integrity in all phases of a project lifetime.
Includes evaluation of structural capacity, fatigue analysis and lifetime evaluations.
Transportation, Lift and Installation
Provide services within temporary phases for offshore structures. Typically load out, transport and seafastening, lifting, installation and installation aids.
- Selection of methodology and planning
- Develop procedures and operational manuals
- Analysis and design
- Verification and inspections
Area of expertise range from operations involving minor equipment to heavy lifts and heavy transports.
Mechanical, Electrical and Pipe system design
Engineering IDS has the expertise to design mechanical, piping and electrical systems for vessels, mobile offshore units, production platforms and other type of floating devices.
Architectural and Arrangement design
Engineering IDS has wide experience in developing General Arrangements and Architectural design for vessels, mobile offshore units, production platforms and other type of floating devices.
Hydrodynamics and marine engineering
Hydrodynamic analyses of floating structures and vessels. Determine motion characteristics, evaluate seakeeping properties. Typical analyses include:
- Motion response
- Wave loads
- Weather vaning
- Operability studies (Drilling, Gangway, etc.)
Stability and hydrostatic analyses and calculations, covering both intact and damaged stability scenarios. Evaluations and studies related to weight sensitivity.
Verification and development of stability manuals, inclination test procedures and ballast procedures.
Riser and Subsea
Riser analyses for floating structures, including drilling risers, flexible risers and umbilicals. Including riser connection & disconnection studies.
Analyses related to stationkeeping of floating structures.
Design and analyses of mooring systems, both temporary and permanent mooring, including mooring to quay. Analyses of DP capability, evaluation of fuel consumption, and risk and collision studies.
Analyses, planning and execution of marine operations and temporary phases. Services include:
- Load transfer analysis
- Installation and subsea lift analysis
- Transport analysis
- Planning of transportation routes
- Development of transportation procedures and manuals